Sunday, November 15, 2009

Just like a tattoo...

Has anyone ever noticed how absolutely strange Dopey (from Snow White) is? He looks like the forgotten lovechild of a Precious Moments Doll and ET. Yikes. Who ever thought that a mutant dwarf (little person?) who lacks hair and the ability to speak would be a good Disney mascot? I may have nightmares.

Anyways, that doesn't have a lot to do with what I wanted to talk about. I just happened to be watching Snow White up until a few minutes ago. I went on a Disney buying binge on Friday so I've had quite an "animated" weekend - pun very intended. I had the day off on Friday, so I went to lunch with our office coordinator, Debbie. We had some wine and next thing I know I'm in the mall buying every Disney movie that I don't already own (the list isn't too long so I only ended up buying 5 - could have been a lot worse). I'm now the proud owner of Snow White, Hercules, The Black Cauldron, The Sword and the Stone, and Lilo and Stitch. I almost have a complete collection! I'm not sure why I have the desire to own every single Disney movie, but I do. I certainly get my money's worth out of them - I have to have seen Beauty and the Beast over 500 times, and my other favorites well over 100 times each. Disney movies make for great background entertainment when doing work, schoolwork, cleaning, writing, etc. If you want to pay attention, it is great. If not, you can just listen to the songs and the whimsical dialogue. Perfection.

About an hour after my Disney movie shopping spree, I was planted in a movie theatre eating Maltesers (malted milk balls - or Whoppers - for non-EMEA readers) and popcorn while watching "A Christmas Carol" - which I loved, by the way. I am now firmly in the holiday spirit. Anyways, while chomping on my popcorn, I felt a sharp pain on my left hip. I looked down, moved my pants a bit, and was shocked to find that I had a new TATTOO! Uh oh.

It all came flooding back to me. In 45 minutes I'd managed to completely forget it. After strolling out of the movie store, I strolled about in search of a diet coke. Now, South African malls have everything under the sun - these people know how to do the mall experience - so I shouldn't have been surprised when I passed a tattoo parlor. I don't know what was different about me - I think I just needed to let loose a little - but I decided that I was going to march in there and get a tattoo.

Moments later I was sitting in the front window of the shop, pants down, getting my hip needled. You see, I've had the design of this tattoo in my wallet ever since I left Australia (where I studied abroad in college) almost 4 years ago. It's a simple design but for some reason I've never taken the time to get it. I already have a tattoo (my fraternity letters on my right hip) so it is not like I was terrified of the experience. And I have an obsession with symmetry so having one tattooed hip for 5 years has really bugged me.

Well, now I'm symmetrical. And I have a firm reminder of my Australian experience forever imprinted on my hip. I don't regret it and I doubt I ever will - Australia was the place that showed me how much I love being in nature, that I could be in love, and how to just chill out and enjoy life. It is good to have a reminder of that with me always.

The design is quite simple - it is a constellation. The Southern Cross is a constellation that you can only see in the southern hemisphere (it is also on the Aussie flag) - so it is nice that I got the tattoo down here in SA, also in the southern hemisphere. The first time I ever saw it was a very special night. I was with my Australian significant other (who has been my most significant "significant other" to date), who pointed it out to me in a sea of stars in the clear Australian sky. It was on the beach and all of that la-dee-da-sappy-lovefest-hallmark-moment stuff and that moment has always stuck out to me as one of the best of my life. The tattoo isn't to remember that relationship though. Relationship-related tattoos are a slippery slope (unless you're Beyonce, who can do no wrong). The tattoo (a) represents an amazing period of my life and (b) reminds me that so many magical things exist in the world and you can't see them all from one place.

I don't condone getting inked while intoxicated, but I must say that I nearly died laughing when I looked down at my hip in the movie theater and saw the southern cross staring up at me. First of all, I should have been concerned that I was pulling down my pants to look at my hip in the middle of a children's movie. Pee-wee Herman I am not. And it was just plain funny to think - "well, shit - when did THAT happen?"

Now for another wonderful South African work day. I am bound and determined to learn the country's geography this week - so expect an educational post on that later in the week.

I'm going to go put some vaseline on my new acquisition.

:) Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment